Sunday, August 18, 2013

Leadville 2013 Part 6 -- Epilogue

 Leadville 2013 is in the books. I've checked off a life goal, and am a better human than I was 6 months ago. Physically, I'm much happier than I was with myself last November. I rediscovered the edge of the envelope of my own performance and I've realized my own limits are largely in my mind. Also learned a ton about nutrition and training...all that I guess I should have expected. I also learned a lot about myself, my family, and my friends. I did not do this race to raise money for a cause, or awareness of a disease. I was not overcoming major life or physical obstacles. I was doing this because I wanted to do it. And I discovered that was OK, and that everyone was willing to support me in it. Those of you who know me well understand what a leap that is. My motivation a few times was wanting to be able to tell my kids, and Suman, and all of you that I had done this, that I had dug deep, and that I did not quit. Paraphrasing Ken Chlouber, I thought plenty of times about wanting to be able to tell a story about getting a buckle, not some 20 minute explanation of why I had to quit. Mostly though, I wanted one of those silver and gold belt buckles. It looks good in it's little corner of the kitchen. Come by and see it some time. So my personal mid-life crisis appears to be addressed. I think I came through unscathed. Will I go back? Let's just say I have a belt buckles in the brain, big ones. but now...73 days to iceman

No comments:

Post a Comment